BuddyPress BbPress

JewishPoptart89

Retired Administrator
Retired Staff
Council
Nov 27, 2015
Wisconsin
What's your thought on using buddy press and BbPress for your forum?

I'm using it currently and it's working very well. I have no complaints because I love Wordpress :wink:

Thomasss

Retired Moderator
Retired Staff
Nov 19, 2015
The Clouds
I actually have yet to try it honestly, I have considered it though. I know it doesn't have all the functionality that other softwares have, and a lot of the "report a post to a mod" and stuff like that are all in plugins which kinda makes me worry, with the heavy theme and plugins I have already I am not really sold on switching. :yum:

JewishPoptart89

Retired Administrator
Retired Staff
Council
Nov 27, 2015
Wisconsin
I actually have yet to try it honestly, I have considered it though. I know it doesn't have all the functionality that other softwares have, and a lot of the "report a post to a mod" and stuff like that are all in plugins which kinda makes me worry, with the heavy theme and plugins I have already I am not really sold on switching. :yum:
I think of it as a temp solution. If you don't want to commit and buy $100+ license and risk not gaining popularity, you haven't lost anything but the purchase of the domain and hosting.

Blue_Cardinal

Quite the Aristocrat
May 20, 2015
I never liked Buddypress, though then again I also think that Wordpress's registration system is rather busy and big. :yum: I think having a separate software and a bridge to Wordpress is best, that's just me. I didn't really find Buddypress or bbpress to be all that stable.

JewishPoptart89

Retired Administrator
Retired Staff
Council
Nov 27, 2015
Wisconsin
I never liked Buddypress, though then again I also think that Wordpress's registration system is rather busy and big. :yum: I think having a separate software and a bridge to Wordpress is best, that's just me. I didn't really find Buddypress or bbpress to be all that stable.
That's a good point. It's a little dodgy at some times but if you get registration just right you're spot on. But you are right it's better with a bridge!

Teg

Quite the Aristocrat
Retired Staff
Nov 17, 2015
Georgia, USA
tck.boards.net
It's really a super easy forum base to use. It can be customized brilliantly. For example, take a look at Forum Engine http://www.enginethemes.com/demo/forumengine/

It's completely based off bbPress and BuddyPress and then built with WordPress. I'm sure there are other theme's out there too. The admin/mod side of the two are also simple to figure out and easy to use. The only complaint is categories and forums are hard to determine in ACP when creating new ones. Took me a few minutes to work out the creating of forums and such (lol).

JewishPoptart89

Retired Administrator
Retired Staff
Council
Nov 27, 2015
Wisconsin
Same here, and the ordering system is a bit annoying. I just moved away from buddy press over to phpbb, I'm a lot happier haha.

I did have a theme made specifically for buddy press and I enjoyed it but it just wasn't what I needed.

I really love Wordpress so I wanted to give that a shot before anything! :smiley:

Belthazar

Ex-Shot Caller
Retired Staff
Mar 4, 2015
America
I don't use it. If I wanted a forum with WP, I'd use phpBB or IPB along with a bridge. I think BuddyPress is okay, but it's not nearly what something free like phpBB is as a forum.

JewishPoptart89

Retired Administrator
Retired Staff
Council
Nov 27, 2015
Wisconsin
I don't know anyone who uses buddypress. I mean is it even worth using?
It's worth trying and seeing if you like the features. Back when I was running BuddyPress and bb press, I really enjoyed it worked nicely and it looked good. However, PhpBB had more features. You just have to keep in mind that Wordpress isn't really made for forums and PhpBB or another forum software is. Amazing integration into Wordpress due to the fact you're running Wordpress for it... I do suggest using a front end registration and all that other than BuddyPress'. It's a lot safer. Look at user pro for that.

Christopher

Former Owner
Retired Staff
Mar 11, 2016
You just have to keep in mind that Wordpress isn't really made for forums and PhpBB or another forum software is. Amazing integration into Wordpress due to the fact you're running Wordpress for it... I do suggest using a front end registration and all that other than BuddyPress'. It's a lot safer. Look at user pro for that.
Yeah, it's hard to imagine forums running on wordpress. When I think of wordpress, I think of blogs, business pages (maybe) and portfolios. Maybe some e-commerce websites as well.

jyy

Quite the Aristocrat
Sep 6, 2017
Like Simple Machines, bbPress has one-click upgrades and theme and mod installers. In that case, I think that's a powerful advantage - especially for newbies who don't have a clue about that stuff.