Buying Domains To Resell On?

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Retired Staff
Nov 4, 2017
Do you buy domains with the only intention of selling them on again at a higher price than you paid for it? :yum:
Do you mean cyber squatting? Or do you mean boosting it's original value by including daily traffic that you made on it, a premade website, selling it for "aged" nature, and/or etc?

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Retired Staff
Nov 4, 2017
What is "Cyber Squatting"? :yum: Just buying and then selling domains to make a profit. Domains with no website attached.
That is when someone take a name that haven't yet have a website and then "squat" on it for the company to be "forced" to pay a large sum for.

Think of say if "target.com" was still "open" then someone who knows that Target may want that name may cyber squat it for a profit. Given that Target is already a brand that almost leaves them with no option to pay up.

Unsurprisingly that illegal given that would be stealing a trademark (in this example Target) by doing this. But unless the brand have lawyers and such usually your left with no choice but to pay the squatter.

That is why many people tend to "bundle" the domain so it made clear that your not "just" buying the name.

Sean Quinn

Almost Special
ah, cool, never heard of Cyber Squatting before lol. :yum: I get what you mean. :yum: Without sounding to stupid.. What do you mean by "Bundle" the domain? :yum:

What i was talking about originally was just searching domains on a domain registrar or domain auction sites for good ones, good keyword domains, etc.. then buying them so you start a collection, then going on to forums and domain selling websites and listing them to try get a profit on them. :yum:

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Retired Staff
Nov 4, 2017
ah, cool, never heard of Cyber Squatting before lol. :yum: I get what you mean. :yum: Without sounding to stupid.. What do you mean by "Bundle" the domain? :yum:

What i was talking about originally was just searching domains on a domain registrar or domain auction sites for good ones, good keyword domains, etc.. then buying them so you start a collection, then going on to forums and domain selling websites and listing them to try get a profit on them. :yum:
We live and learn my fellow. :smiley:

Anyways I typically seen people offering say a completed website or some form of other incentives to purchase said name (like a free hosting package for the remainder of the term).

Ahh so you mean like "flipping" those "premium" domains that they are selling? That is indeed an interesting concept but I am not sure if that's a profitable endeavor or not.

Cameron

Executive Director
Executive
Jan 29, 2015
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
I have done this in the past, but I haven't done this in a few years. Whenever I found a really awesome .com, .net, or .org domain with good keywords, I would have no problem registering it and then trying to flip it. Nowadays, there's a million different domain extensions, so I feel like cybersquating is even less successful. If the typical .com, .net, or .org extension isn't available with what domain you're trying to register, then plenty of people end up registering with .io, .co, etc.