Creating Your Own Forum Software

jyy

Quite the Aristocrat
Sep 6, 2017
An associate of mine has literally created their own software from scratch. Therefore, I'm wondering how someone could be unique - because there is always the threat of a lawsuit. Also, I'm wondering how someone could profit from either free and/or paid forum software. Well, I know the free type could possibly sell custom mods and themes on the side.

Empire

Constantly Improving
Apr 2, 2016
Australia
www.baysidegamers.com
My answer is HELL... no :astonished::tongueclosed:

If you you aren't that good by doing basic or I say that you are good at doing basic things doesn't been you an expert. I'm out to able to code my full board/software. need to know what you are doing, the time you need to put into it and and be hard darn work

jyy

Quite the Aristocrat
Sep 6, 2017

If you you aren't that good by doing basic or I say that you are good at doing basic things doesn't been you an expert. I'm out to able to code my full board/software. need to know what you are doing, the time you need to put into it and and be hard darn work
That's the case with nearly everything. That's why possibly so many forum projects, and I mean just setting up forums, not coding them from scratch, go down the drain. In other words, there will be pain for success normally.

edenwax

Designer
Retired Staff
Feb 17, 2016
ed3n.me
...because there is always the threat of a lawsuit.
But nobody owns the right to forum software, so where would this lawsuit come from? Unless your software is a blatant rip off of someone elses software then a lawsuit is unlikely.

Also, I'm wondering how someone could profit from either free and/or paid forum software. Well, I know the free type could possibly sell custom mods and themes on the side.
Free software probably isnt profitable at all, even with paid mods, advertisements etc. I imagine most devs who work on it do it on the side.
Im unsure how profitable even paid software would be considering forums arent as popular as they used to be.

I worked with a few people making forum software (@Cameron might remember rForums!) and I once tried to make my own (it was suuuuper bad) - I can confirm: its a lot of time and effort and if you don't fully know what you're doing, it can be a nightmare.

jyy

Quite the Aristocrat
Sep 6, 2017
But nobody owns the right to forum software, so where would this lawsuit come from? Unless your software is a blatant rip off of someone elses software then a lawsuit is unlikely.
Copyrights do exist. I'm sure all the major brands and possibly minor ones like Elke Arte have them. In that case, you have to be careful.