Forum Destroy Repeat

Carlos

Constantly Improving
Mar 12, 2016
California
www.carlosx360.com
Last year, on Feb 2nd, 2015 - I acquired a large PlayStation Vita forum, and kept it on psvitaforum.com for a whole year while I was working on acquiring DestroyRepeat.com which I acquired in 2015, both was completed early this year - a month after another. The original owner treated the site as "Tech & Gaming Community" but tech is a bit loose. I bought DestroyRepeat because of the name. I love it. It sounds like a tournament event, a gaming event, or an eSport event. I see a lot of uses with the domain name.

Right now, DestroyRepeat is a Video Game forum. I acquired DestroyRepeat to acquire the database which is 70% TitanFall, 20% other FPS titles. PSVitaForum.com was primarily a PlayStation Vita forum, but it has all kinds of people, that's why I acquired it. PC gamers, Chat folks, Nintendo 3DS gamers, PlayStation 4 gamers (due to the PSVita attach rate), some are Xbox gamers, some are other types of gamers. Regardless, I feel there's a lot of diversity, that's why I felt it was right to merge the two.

Together, they are these stats:

24,367 Threads
379,539 Posts
15,116 Members

I am currently re-indexing the whole site, which is why the activity is down. But know this, it used to be the most active PlayStation Vita Forum in the world...

Under my ownership, it still maintained the same numbers...

So, I'll get there again.

Carlos

Constantly Improving
Mar 12, 2016
California
www.carlosx360.com
I acquired and merged BitterGamers.com that had 23,077 Threads, 135,146 Posts, 81,078 Members. Now DestroyRepeat has 47,573 Threads, 514,963 Posts, 95,608 Members (Overall, there's 100k members behind the scenes. Since xenForo treats banned and unconfirmed users as "invalid.")

This now makes DestroyRepeat a big board. :smile:

Carlos

Constantly Improving
Mar 12, 2016
California
www.carlosx360.com
I merged two forums into DestroyRepeat this week - BF1Forum, and a site called Geekaholic.net (I don't know what the owner plans to do with this, but I could care less. I acquired the site's database & files.)

The new stats are:

51,545 Threads
538,812 Posts
14,664 Members

Taylor GM

Surprisingly Adequate
Dec 15, 2017
Looks more like a database collection then a community. All those stats and you have 2 posts in the past 2 days. If I were you I would look to improve my methods on building a successful community.

Carlos

Constantly Improving
Mar 12, 2016
California
www.carlosx360.com
Was stating facts. Nothing positive or negative about it. :smiley:
*Snaps fingers and points at Taylor* Bullshit, and you know it. You came into the thread saying "it's just a collection of databases." No, dude. It's not. I just need to reindex the site. What happened was this: I purchased both PSVitaForum and DestroyRepeat at the same time, I completed PSVitaForum first, then DestroyRepeat. At that point, I'd already have PSVitaForum on my server, and all it needed was a domain change. I wasn't going to risk anything tomorrow (there were a few backdoors on both sites), so what I did is made a new database, merged both PSVitaForum/DR there. What this results is in change of links so I have to start all over again. And then the domain change? ALL over again. Then going https? ALL over again. So, before you go off mouthing off about something you don't know - investigate. That's why I got pissed at you, oh, "it's just a database collection!"

Whatever.

Taylor GM

Surprisingly Adequate
Dec 15, 2017
I was referring to 2 posts in 2 days. Fact. Two databases combined. That would be a collection. Fact.

I'm just wondering where the people are? 14,000 of them? If I combined two sites with 14 members combined I would at least expect 1 or 2 to post a thread or two. Keep it professional please. Thanks.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Nov 4, 2017
*Snaps fingers and points at Taylor* Bullshit, and you know it. You came into the thread saying "it's just a collection of databases." No, dude. It's not. I just need to reindex the site. What happened was this: I purchased both PSVitaForum and DestroyRepeat at the same time, I completed PSVitaForum first, then DestroyRepeat. At that point, I'd already have PSVitaForum on my server, and all it needed was a domain change. I wasn't going to risk anything tomorrow (there were a few backdoors on both sites), so what I did is made a new database, merged both PSVitaForum/DR there. What this results is in change of links so I have to start all over again. And then the domain change? ALL over again. Then going https? ALL over again. So, before you go off mouthing off about something you don't know - investigate. That's why I got pissed at you, oh, "it's just a database collection!"

Whatever.
Sir, he is just saying what it appears to him and he is somewhat right. If there are just 2 posts in just 2 days but a member count of 14,000 then I am sorry but people are going to discount it as a database and collection. Rather than a active community.

While I do understand what your saying about just acquiring these communities but all we are saying that you may want to consider reconstructing them so it doesn't appear to be as such. Such as but not limited to pruning away very old accounts, closed accounts, banned accounts, and so on from the statistics.

Carlos

Constantly Improving
Mar 12, 2016
California
www.carlosx360.com
Sir, he is just saying what it appears to him and he is somewhat right. If there are just 2 posts in just 2 days but a member count of 14,000 then I am sorry but people are going to discount it as a database and collection. Rather than a active community.
You see what he said. It comes off as an insult. Let me finish this conversation off, and you can delete the posts later.
While I do understand what your saying about just acquiring these communities but all we are saying that you may want to consider reconstructing them so it doesn&;t appear to be as such. Such as but not limited to pruning away very old accounts, closed accounts, banned accounts, and so on from the statistics.
That has already been done. I'm keeping the banned members, "closed" accounts, and old accounts for other reasons. A banned member came back to start up arguments with me again and I was able to track down his old account to merge it in, and keep track where to go next. Without keeping track of things, I stand to lose. That's why I keep accounts regardless. However, I have already pruned the zero posts accounts.

And honestly, that's a bad idea because if I did that - the memberbase will just go down. The larger community is 9 thousand strong. All of them have posts. It would be stupid of me to delete accounts.

And I'm not stupid.
I was referring to 2 posts in 2 days. Fact. Two databases combined. That would be a collection. Fact.
See, do you even read what you post? Do you understand that your attitude is what piss me off? At the moment, I'm calm. I've collected my thoughts, and calmed down. I read this while I was at work, and I got so pissed off, I was ready to punch a wall. But I've calmed down. I'm actually a nice guy, an understanding person if you had just approached this without "this is FACT!" There are ways of doing things or saying things, man. LIke this...
I'm just wondering where the people are? 14,000 of them? If I combined two sites with 14 members combined I would at least expect 1 or 2 to post a thread or two. Keep it professional please. Thanks.
I was wondering the same. And, its probably because the members conspired with the other camps to move somewhere. I don't know where, and I'll leave them alone to do whatever they want. Eventually, they'll come back. And realize I'm not a bad guy. When I acquired the site 2 years ago, there was a lot of controversy over my new ownership, and it calmed down for a while, then out of nowhere, everyone left. Even when changes happened.

You - you want professionalism? Bruh, are you for real? Listen to what you said to me. I want you to do me a favor, go to a nearby mirror, and say to yourself "Oh, it's just a database collection." I want you to say it to yourself, and I want you to do it in the tone that you said it to me. And while you're at it, why don't you do the same for the "facts" you said to me.

I get that you're trying to help, but it just comes off differently because of the way you constructed your words.

Last edited:

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Nov 4, 2017
That has already been done. I'm keeping the banned members, "closed" accounts, and old accounts for other reasons. A banned member came back to start up arguments with me again and I was able to track down his old account to merge it in, and keep track where to go next. Without keeping track of things, I stand to lose. That's why I keep accounts regardless. However, I have already pruned the zero posts accounts.

And honestly, that's a bad idea because if I did that - the memberbase will just go down. The larger community is 9 thousand strong. All of them have posts. It would be stupid of me to delete accounts.

And I'm not stupid.
When I mentioned about pruning I meant to prune the statistics not the records themselves. Companies do it all of the time once a client account been inactive for so long so their statistics are more accurate. Because let's be honest you cannot afford to have a account that is inactive for several years to be in current statistics.

Plus the bigger a database gets, the more inefficient it may be to keep it and to even run regular backups on. That is why databases are flushed in some way or form every now and then so they don't get larger than they need to keep the active statistics and recent happenings stored in a database.

So in all it's fine and in fact recommended to keep old data but in a live database? You may wish to reconsider storing aged and inactive data in offsite storage or something for record keeping instead.

Carlos

Constantly Improving
Mar 12, 2016
California
www.carlosx360.com
When I mentioned about pruning I meant to prune the statistics not the records themselves. Companies do it all of the time once a client account been inactive for so long so their statistics are more accurate. Because let's be honest you cannot afford to have a account that is inactive for several years to be in current statistics.

Plus the bigger a database gets, the more inefficient it may be to keep it and to even run regular backups on. That is why databases are flushed in some way or form every now and then so they don't get larger than they need to keep the active statistics and recent happenings stored in a database.

So in all it's fine and in fact recommended to keep old data but in a live database? You may wish to reconsider storing aged and inactive data in offsite storage or something for record keeping instead.
*Scratches head* This is where things get haywire for me. I'm confused.

The statistics are recognized as is. That's why I pruned zero posters. Most of the accounts are with posts. The way xenForo treats banned members? It's omitted from the final, overall statistics. So, when xenForo says I have 14,681 Members, that is the total amount of posters on the site. In truth, I have 15k members. Do you understand?

It's not like vBulletin, where every member is counted to the final member count.
And it's also not like vBulletin 4/5 where queries are exorbitant to the point it drives my server crazy. It actually looks fine from where I sit.

The reason why you're able to load the pages faster is because it's xenForo.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Nov 4, 2017
*Scratches head* This is where things get haywire for me. I'm confused.

The statistics are recognized as is. That's why I pruned zero posters. Most of the accounts are with posts. The way xenForo treats banned members? It's omitted from the final, overall statistics. So, when xenForo says I have 14,681 Members, that is the total amount of posters on the site. In truth, I have 15k members. Do you understand?

It's not like vBulletin, where every member is counted to the final member count.
And it's also not like vBulletin 4/5 where queries are exorbitant to the point it drives my server crazy. It actually looks fine from where I sit.

The reason why you're able to load the pages faster is because it's xenForo.
Thank you for explaining such to me, now I understand better what's going on. :smiley: