Free hosting?

Jake

Constantly Improving
May 21, 2015
Florida, United States
To be honest, there's no "best" free hosting provider out there. And if there is, they mostly suck. If you want to own a forum or website, you need to put some money to it. It's not like it's going to be done in one day, and "vuala." No. I don't recommend free hosting whatsoever. Also, most forum and website owners are 14/15+, so they have money (some). Don't go around looking for a free host. They're all terrible.

Cameron

Executive Director
Executive
Jan 29, 2015
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
I don't think I could have said it any better than Jake. Generally speaking, free web hosting is not something you want to go for. For one, few of them last because of money. There's little potential to generate revenue, especially since most of them don't put advertisements on your site. The ones that do last are just awful. 000webhost would be the perfect example of this. X10 Hosting is okay, but it's still nothing compared to paid web hosting.

Honestly, if you're going to go the free route, I'd just go with a successful free forum host. There are quite a few of them that have a proven track record. If you pick a decent one, you don't have to worry about your forum randomly disappearing forever. :yum:

KRBlaze7

Drastically Average
Apr 4, 2016
As far as forums go, there are free options out there but I would have to buy the domain so I don't use the .whatever after the title. Most of them limit you to a certain number of members unless you upgrade. Would something like this work or am I better off avoiding these free forum hosting sites all together?

Erin Nicole

Constantly Improving
Mar 13, 2016
Depends on what kind of site you are hosting. If it is a blog, yes. Anything where you want to get paid, no.

Erin Nicole

Constantly Improving
Mar 13, 2016
I mentioned for forums. I feel like free hosting may not be a good idea for that.
To start off, it would be an OK idea. Seeing as you start with 0 members and work your way up and it is best to start off with a free forum service like PHPBB or MyBB and work your way up to XF or IPB.

KRBlaze7

Drastically Average
Apr 4, 2016
To start off, it would be an OK idea. Seeing as you start with 0 members and work your way up and it is best to start off with a free forum service like PHPBB or MyBB and work your way up to XF or IPB.
Wouldn't it look worse for people who are finding it though? Like I wouldn't join a free hosted forum simply because they don't look appealing to me. I mean, I would be more likely to join one like this where there are custom logos and software plugins that make being a member more enjoyable.

Erin Nicole

Constantly Improving
Mar 13, 2016
Wouldn't it look worse for people who are finding it though? Like I wouldn't join a free hosted forum simply because they don't look appealing to me. I mean, I would be more likely to join one like this where there are custom logos and software plugins that make being a member more enjoyable.
Not necessarily. There was this one pokemon forum that was hosted on icyboards, I think. It looked STUNNING. It just depends on how much work you are willing to put into it to make it look amazing.

ForumPromotion.com is running on PHPBB which is a free forum software. For all we know they could be on free hosting. They could be lying to us saying that they pay for the server and instead are using some free hosting service (like my site) somewhere and a free forum software. We don't know cause we aren't in their shoes.

In reality, they do pay for hosting but they still use a free forum software which would be in your category 'no custom logos and software plugins that make being a member more enjoyable.'

KenBrace

Drastically Average
Apr 2, 2016
Back when I first started my web development I used 000webhost. It was a great place to start.
I second this.

I used 000webhost when I first got started and it worked surprisingly well for a free host. As long as your site is small then I think it's worth a shot.

Eventually, however, you will want to upgrade. I recommend NameCheap's $9 for the first year deal. I also think GoDaddy's $12 for the first year + free domain deal is great. A lot of people hate GoDaddy hosting but honestly, I've never had a problem with them.

echnaret

Despairingly Simple
Jun 19, 2016
When I was first starting out, I just hosted my website on an old computer in a closet. It was very low traffic, and I wasn't particularly concerned with 100% uptime. When I started moving around more frequently, I upgraded to paid webhosting because I wasn't always aware ahead of time that I would be able to connect a server to the internet.

Christopher

Former Owner
Retired Staff
Mar 11, 2016
I've always gone with paid hosting. In my personal opinion, there's a very good reason why hosting is free.

Tom WHE

Constantly Improving
Mar 29, 2016
Unfortunately everything has a cost, and if its free the money has to come from somewhere. This is why a lot of free hosts don't last or they cram as many ads everywhere as they can.

jyy

Quite the Aristocrat
Sep 6, 2017
Unfortunately everything has a cost, and if its free the money has to come from somewhere. This is why a lot of free hosts don't last or they cram as many ads everywhere as they can.
Free hosting is cool and all, but I'm sure it's frustrating if people won't upgrade, either to more resources or something without ads. Also, there might be a situation where the ads aren't producing a good revenue.

NomanProdhan

Surprisingly Adequate
Aug 31, 2017
I don't think that you will get any good free hosting provider. Because free never tasted sweet :wink:
If you want to run a website then I will suggest you to buy hosting for that or if you just want to taste hosting/script/cPanel etc. then you can search on google for free web hosting provider. However, you can try this one : https://www.freehosting.com
One thing I didn't tried their hosting. Just heard about them :smiley:

planetinside

Constantly Improving
Sep 5, 2017
I can provide free hosting... well, I guess not free but either some advertising to help me with my projects or a contribution at least...

If you want to know if my hosting is any good, ask @Require !