.host and .hosting Domain Extensions

jyy

Quite the Aristocrat
Sep 6, 2017
In the 2nd case, I think they aren't issuing new ones, though, I could be mistaken. Anyway, .hosting is the extension for a popular web hosting forum so I wouldn't dismiss it. So, do you guys think these two domain extensions are good for a hosting company and/or hosting discussion forum? Would you consider using it for another purpose like say, assuming it means something like, "to host a party" etc.?

Cameron

Executive Director
Executive
Jan 29, 2015
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
I've been seeing the .host extension being used more and more lately, but I'm still not a big fan of it. I don't see any big name web hosting companies ever using it, but I guess we'll see how things change as time goes on. There's also always dozens of one or two word .host domains listed on Flippa. It gets really irritating seeing tons of listings for domains like "SuperCheap.Host, "TheBest.Host," etc. I could see using .host for something completely unrelated to web hosting if I really liked the keywords in the domain.

jyy

Quite the Aristocrat
Sep 6, 2017
Hosting forums might not need a .com (or .net) as much as a hosting company. In that case, a forum with .host might be a witty name. Nonetheless, obviously, the point of these .host, .hosting extensions was for companies I assume.

Cameron

Executive Director
Executive
Jan 29, 2015
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
Hosting forums might not need a .com (or .net) as much as a hosting company. In that case, a forum with .host might be a witty name. Nonetheless, obviously, the point of these .host, .hosting extensions was for companies I assume.
I'm not entirely sure if I would even trust putting my personal information (like a credit card #) on a website with a .host or .hosting domain extension. I think I'd be hesitant to trust that. :yum:

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Retired Staff
Nov 4, 2017
I'm not entirely sure if I would even trust putting my personal information (like a credit card #) on a website with a .host or .hosting domain extension. I think I'd be hesitant to trust that. :yum:
While non "TLD" domain names such as these do tend promote "questionable" activities it should never be deemed as they always are.

Rather than deciding such with solely those, you should look at other criteria as well. Such as but not limited to features that your looking for, if the support works for you, and so on.

Cameron

Executive Director
Executive
Jan 29, 2015
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
While non "TLD" domain names such as these do tend promote "questionable" activities it should never be deemed as they always are.

Rather than deciding such with solely those, you should look at other criteria as well. Such as but not limited to features that your looking for, if the support works for you, and so on.
Yes, but obviously first impressions are very important. If I'm thrown off by the domain or by some other obvious factor, I'm probably not going to look beyond the index page.