Is livechat a must?

Claraviolet

Quite the Aristocrat
Mar 10, 2015
I believe live chat is a really good technique, to attract more customers. Most of the customers, would like to get some answers fast. They wouldn't want to wait, if possible.
Support tickets and such offer help, but they have a specified timeline. Even high priority tickets take sometime to get a reply.
So, I wouldn't say live chat is a must for hosts but t's quite helpful.
That is the reason why most of the hosts go for it in the first place.

Hux

Constantly Improving
Oct 20, 2017
I'd definitely say live chat is a very good idea. There can be so many issues when setting up, especially for a customer who doesn't understand much. I was in a position once where I constantly needed to contact live support so I could get issues resolved immediately.

Bizarrio

Constantly Improving
Nov 14, 2017
I think that live chat is a big help and every serious hosting provider should have that.

Communication by email takes a long time and live chat often gives a much faster solution.

For most of my hosting issues, I prefer to do live chat.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Nov 4, 2017
Some hosts offer livechat on the spot, but most offer support tickets. For your hosting needs, is livechat a must when deciding to sign up for that host or not? Does it have any pull in whether you think it is a good host?
The thing is that it "hard" to find GOOD live chat support. Too often or not it like they just ask you to submit a ticket. They don't even bother to do it for you sometimes even. :(

With the buzzword out of the way, I just chatted with a provider i am actually considering doing business with. Considering how they handled my live chat session. Even when the person needed to get a tech, he/she would keep me in the loop until he/she got it from them. :smiley:

In short, it only GOOD if it the servicing is good itself.

xXInfectedXx

Quite the Aristocrat
Mar 26, 2015
Livechat isn't a must. Aslong as the internet host offers some type of support I'm happy. I would be happy with communicating by support tickets and support agents replying within 24-48 hours. Livechat or phone support would be a bonus.

Drew

Retired Executive
Retired Staff
Feb 13, 2016
xenfiles.com
I believe live chat provides an extra form of reliability when you're signing up for a host, also it can take hours to answer a support ticket and I believe they like the fact that support is at the end of their fingers in minutes.

I personally have it on my host.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Nov 4, 2017
I believe live chat provides an extra form of reliability when you're signing up for a host, also it can take hours to answer a support ticket and I believe they like the fact that support is at the end of their fingers in minutes.

I personally have it on my host.
I fails the idea that tickets take "hours". Given that it does not take that long to ACTUALLY reply to one.

Live chat or not, you can make a support system nearly "instant" either means.

Chris Grigg

Executive
Executive
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
www.USHost247.com
I fails the idea that tickets take "hours". Given that it does not take that long to ACTUALLY reply to one.

Live chat or not, you can make a support system nearly "instant" either means.
I believe he was referring that most hosts take up to an hour or more to reply to most tickets, not the capability of them. Tickets can be replied to very quickly, but it is up to the support staff on which ticket to resolve first or how long to wait to resolve it.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Nov 4, 2017
I believe he was referring that most hosts take up to an hour or more to reply to most tickets, not the capability of them. Tickets can be replied to very quickly, but it is up to the support staff on which ticket to resolve first or how long to wait to resolve it.
There a reason why it like that so you can resolve those tickets that are more critical than others. For example if a node is completely offline taking priority over someone who need help with his/her configurations and such. That way once the node is back online (or waiting for the NOC or whatever) THEN you can go to the person who require help using your services.

However try doing this over live chat? Let's me just sum it up that it will not end well...

Given that it will likely results in "MY SERVICE IS NOT WORKING!" "Can you please bring this back node online, it been x minutes already!" and a million other similar chats otherwise.

jyy

Quite the Aristocrat
Sep 6, 2017
I don't really care about it. I mean, it's not like we are dealing with a life or death situation like in an emergency room. It's just a website - unless of course, it's some huge operation. Nonetheless, though, sometimes tickets are replied to very quickly.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Nov 4, 2017
I don't really care about it. I mean, it's not like we are dealing with a life or death situation like in an emergency room. It's just a website - unless of course, it's some huge operation. Nonetheless, though, sometimes tickets are replied to very quickly.
Exactly! I heard providers' clients sometimes sound very exaggerating. For example they may have a small site but claims they are "losing millions" due to an hour of downtime...

If they are REALLY losing that much in that short of time then they shouldn't have any problems asking for a HA solution instead of complaining. :smiley: