Letting others into cPanel?

jyy

Quite the Aristocrat
Sep 6, 2017
Do you trust letting others in? I wouldn't let too many in because of a hacking threat. In fact, I'd limit cPanel access to two admins and constantly change passwords.

Cameron

Executive Director
Executive
Jan 29, 2015
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
This is one of those things that involves using common sense. You should only give someone access to your cPanel if you trust them. It's also best to limit access in general. It's too easy for someone to accidentally screw something up if you have a bunch of people using the cPanel or making changes via FTP.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Nov 4, 2017
The problem with Cpanel that there ISN"T a "user level" management for that. For example you cannot allow someone to have Cpanel level access while limiting them to write only for example (so they cannot delete and read for example). And so on.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Nov 4, 2017
If it's actually needed. 99% of the time no one else really needs it except for one person
It really depends, if you got a heavy project/business that call for "around the clock" there will be more than one person having access to a system. Even larger hosting companies allow their admins to access their nodes so if "one goes" either permanently or not then business can keep on rolling.

Not having even a single trusted and active person to "take over" on a productive project/business is asking for troubles down the road...

JewishPoptart89

Retired Administrator
Retired Staff
Council
Nov 27, 2015
Wisconsin
It really depends, if you got a heavy project/business that call for "around the clock" there will be more than one person having access to a system. Even larger hosting companies allow their admins to access their nodes so if "one goes" either permanently or not then business can keep on rolling.

Not having even a single trusted and active person to "take over" on a productive project/business is asking for troubles down the road...
Oh, yea! For sure a large business would do that. I was simply saying for one of my projects. I don't ever start anything with 5+ employees.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Nov 4, 2017
Oh, yea! For sure a large business would do that. I was simply saying for one of my projects. I don't ever start anything with 5+ employees.
Absolutely for instance I am starting up a Minecraft community. I may not have staffs right now but when it get a constant player count and moderation and such are needed? I will of course slowly add them in as time and logic make sense. :smiley: