New domains!

ddoesmc

John's BFF
Mar 12, 2015
United States of America
What do you think about some of the new domains? Such as .ninja .photo etc. I like that they are a different change and offer much more categorized feel. I think it would stand out from just a normal .com.

Cameron

Executive Director
Executive
Jan 29, 2015
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
I'm still not buying into them, honestly. I have trouble seeing a future where consumers will naturally type the random domain extensions that they are creating. I think it is only going to cause confusion for the people who are not familiar with the domain market, but maybe these domain extensions will be a norm for the next generation. Personally, I have trouble envisioning a world where the common person will naturally type "facebook.social" instead of "facebook.com" into their web browser. Only time will tell, I guess.

Belthazar

Ex-Shot Caller
Retired Staff
Mar 4, 2015
America
I agree that it will probably be years before they become the normal. The problem with them is (as Cameron already said), they're new right now.

Maximum

Banned
Banned
Mar 15, 2015
Well honestly they are alright for certain uses but I don't really see companies using these nor do I see any site using these becoming much popular.

jyy

Quite the Aristocrat
Sep 6, 2017
They seem weird at the moment. However, though, that could change. Note, I already like .xyz, .club, and .zone. However, though, I don't think they will ever be great for marketing - assuming you want people to type the domain into the browser. Nonetheless, not many people do that nowadays anyway.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Nov 4, 2017
They seem weird at the moment. However, though, that could change. Note, I already like .xyz, .club, and .zone. However, though, I don't think they will ever be great for marketing - assuming you want people to type the domain into the browser. Nonetheless, not many people do that nowadays anyway.
I agree except if were to brand the URL itself.

For example say you are thinking of becoming of Bill's Clothing Shop. What you could do instead of call your business Billclothing.shop as your brand name and before long your customers will slowly but surely be aware of your ".shop" choice.

jyy

Quite the Aristocrat
Sep 6, 2017
I agree except if were to brand the URL itself.

For example say you are thinking of becoming of Bill's Clothing Shop. What you could do instead of call your business Billclothing.shop as your brand name and before long your customers will slowly but surely be aware of your ".shop" choice.
I hope people are catching on to that. Are they? I mean, outside the internet, the only domain extensions that seem to be advertised are .net and .org.