Picking The Right Name

Noble Genius

Despairingly Simple
Oct 23, 2017
New York City
How much effort do you put into picking the name for your website?

Believe it or not, there are people who will spend months and a decent amount of cash brainstorming the right name for their business. For the rest of us, naming would have to be done quickly so that we can work on the rest of our website(s).

What type of names do you normally come up with? And do you have a preference for a certain TLD?
Some people tend to be strict in making sure that their TLD makes sense. Others prefer to stick with a certain TLD such as .com.

How does audience affect your name?

And for the benefit of all of us, let's make this a discussion with examples that others needing advice could use. :smile:

My personal advice? Make sure the name makes sense, and run your name by a few trusted people.

Clarendon

Almost Special
Banned
Oct 22, 2017
London
I normally pick a name that is short, relevant and easy to remember as it needs to stand out in the heads of the users and make it interesting and simple!

jyy

Quite the Aristocrat
Sep 6, 2017
I put quite a bit of effort in. However, though, the time pays off as the names are quite good. However, though, there have been some mistakes and it costs a little - as there might be one or two wasted domains. Anyway, my last names were not done by machine generation - just imagination.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Nov 4, 2017
I have a different view on this...

Try to think of a name that you can easily promote with your business. For example if your site is about offering a speedy service then put that into the naming consideration. That way people can easily become aware of such and that it easier for you to market it to boot! :smiley: