VPS Hosting

MrJohn

Drastically Average
Mar 1, 2018
Have any of you made the jump to VPS hosting? I haven't had too yet, but eventually I am sure that is where I am going to end up. Then I am going to have to learn how to manage my own server and all that craziness. lol.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Nov 4, 2017
Have any of you made the jump to VPS hosting? I haven't had too yet, but eventually I am sure that is where I am going to end up. Then I am going to have to learn how to manage my own server and all that craziness. lol.
You can look for semi dedicated/elastic hosting and avoid the headaches. Unless you honestly NEED a VPS (custom apps that won't work for some reason) and/or you have the budgets to grab a high end managed one don't even touch them. Unless of course your wanting to have the "driver seat" of manning it and such.

Another valid reason may be in the case of HA requirements and/or legal requirements that a shared hosting environment cannot do for what ever reason.

But in this day and age just because your using too much CPU and/or RAM (or whatever) isn't the reason you need a VPS anymore. If your willing to shop around more. :smiley:

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Nov 4, 2017
I have an unmanaged VPS that I use for testing and learning, but I never needed to have one or see a need in the future.
It will probably just keep on getting larger and larger. IE being able to rent 32GB+ sized ones with 4+ dedicated cores.

While dedicated servers we see now will probably just get very large to accommodate such sized ones. But I don't see virtualization going any time soon. As much as I hate their managed counterparts.

Maybe when they are that larger it will make more sense to even bother with managed VMs.

edenwax

Designer
Developer
Feb 17, 2016
ed3n.me
I think VPS' are pretty useful. Much cheaper than dedicated hardware but mostly all the features. I used a Digital Ocean droplet for learning and eventually ran a small image host off of it.

Its definitely a learning curve but controlling a server over SSH is a great skill to have.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Nov 4, 2017
Its definitely a learning curve but controlling a server over SSH is a great skill to have.
If you actually enjoy such and can even those do those tasks. Then it certainly worth it while.

But for those that don't enjoy waking up at 3AM for a problem or even keeping it in check, researching patches, and so on... Plus it not just tedious (or those that just "lazy") for some it not even a skill that everyone is able to reliability do for one reason or another.

That in such cases a managed service is the way to go. As I mentioned a semi dedicated or what not can give the resources of the VPS without the huge management fees and/or worries. In those cases where a customized managed VPS (or dedicated) is needed then it may be worth ensuring that you can generate the ROI back on such. Just because how much complete management can end costing you per month.

JewishPoptart89

Retired Administrator
Retired Staff
Council
Nov 27, 2015
Wisconsin
I think VPS' are pretty useful. Much cheaper than dedicated hardware but mostly all the features. I used a Digital Ocean droplet for learning and eventually ran a small image host off of it.

Same here, I've used Digital Ocean as well for the same purpose.