We are now LIVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Retired Staff
Nov 4, 2017
Hello, from when I first posted on here a user on this wonderful idea of keeping people in the knows. So I thought why don't I do a simple "vlog" here?

With that said I had already had a domain on me unfortunately I soon hit the fans because...

1. I was on a reseller plan and the host pulled the informative and transparent data on the server. Plus lied to me on why this was done (saying that Cpanel automatically "reset" this "setting" on updates).
2. It was near end of my subscription so I had little time to relocate the business without shelling out an arm and leg. So while it didn't be live for long and having no clients I decided to "freeze" it and resort to PROPER VPS and dedicated managed provider.

So with that all done and restructuring my business planning I had got back into it (less than a month since the "freezing") and ordered design servicing. Given that I spent good money on it and viewed reviews I hope the finished replaced website will look of quality. :smiley:

Other than that I will be looking at monitoring and backup services. To assure that my servicing can be of quality plus that I can convey transparent data to the public on how good the service is for REAL.

Chris Grigg

Executive
Retired Staff
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
www.USHost247.com
Let me be the first one to recommend Google Drive for your WHM/cPanel backup service. You can get 1TB for $10/month. You can get 100GB for $2/month, and all the way up to 30TB for $300/month. Far beating any other backup place I have found. PLUS, you can backup your phones, your computer, and easily navigate these backups from your browser. Must have backup service, google drive is.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Retired Staff
Nov 4, 2017
Let me be the first one to recommend Google Drive for your WHM/cPanel backup service. You can get 1TB for $10/month. You can get 100GB for $2/month, and all the way up to 30TB for $300/month. Far beating any other backup place I have found. PLUS, you can backup your phones, your computer, and easily navigate these backups from your browser. Must have backup service, google drive is.
While I appreciate your thinking of how cost effective it is there a couple of things I feel I need to lay down to better explain why I am looking into what I am looking at...

1. People says that Google Drive "rate limit" their backing up/restores. I am assuming that is because they have their systems more "tuned" for single user/internal operations. Rather than allowing people to "burst" their public up links as needed.
2. People even says their data get "locked" and I am worried that either that due to them not knowing they are backing up delinquent accounts, or if Google is doing this for no reasons.
3. Understandably people are concerned that Google is seems like an "online spyware/adware". People just don't trust this "giant" to house ALL of their information (some people don't even trust them to have very much/none at all).

Given the nature of providing a shared hosting I am only considering providers that will let me know and let me correct any delinquency data and/or abuses that occurs. Rather than straight up sending the cops to my door because they "thinks" I have do anything with it. Rather than understanding that I don't have ANY liabilities pertaining to customers' contents. Rather just providing the platform to put it there and maintaining said platform.

Other than that I am looking at how much speed they are willing to dispose for me in case I need it. So I don't send hours on end backing up/restoring if possible. As well as respecting peoples' concerns regarding their data privacy. :smiley:

I had located at least one to do this with and I will be looking into likely using HetrixTools for all my monitoring needs.

I had lastly gotten a reply from the seller this morning. She is working on said replacement website and she will reach me if I am needed for any further information. :smiley:

Feel free to follow up on this and/or to let me in any other thoughts any of you wonderful people have!

Chris Grigg

Executive
Retired Staff
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
www.USHost247.com
Where exactly did you "hear" this information?
If Google was rate limiting and not trustworthy, why would cPanel introduce this as a major backup location within their WHM?

From my experience, they have not limited to what I can and can not do via API to their drives.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Retired Staff
Nov 4, 2017
Where exactly did you "hear" this information?
If Google was rate limiting and not trustworthy, why would cPanel introduce this as a major backup location within their WHM?

From my experience, they have not limited to what I can and can not do via API to their drives.
From people on Web Hosting Talk forum community.

Given that Cpanel is a brand, they likely did this, AWS SE (or whatever it called), and etc so they are acting in a "neutral" mean.

It's like a hosting provider supporting Windows Server on their dedicated servers. Even though Linux usually does the jobs better than a equivalent Windows Server (and cheaper for sure!).

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Retired Staff
Nov 4, 2017
The only topic that I found there with the explanations you are speaking of is this one:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1672777

Is there any proof that Google is locking accounts or just snooping through people's files? Also, why would one the world's largest companies be a "spyware/adware"?
That is correct indeed, as for the lock-age people are saying the same in there.

As for the "spyware/adware" thing I believe it due to just how people tend to feels. I am assuming this is because just how many services and conveniences this brand provides.

Though combined with what I said about them not likely going to inform me first and such... I am looking at options that allow me to directly ticket the providers and such. Just so a dialogue is logged and known that I am acting as a service provider instead of a solely an individual.

Chris Grigg

Executive
Retired Staff
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
www.USHost247.com
That is correct indeed, as for the lock-age people are saying the same in there.

As for the "spyware/adware" thing I believe it due to just how people tend to feels. I am assuming this is because just how many services and conveniences this brand provides.

Though combined with what I said about them not likely going to inform me first and such... I am looking at options that allow me to directly ticket the providers and such. Just so a dialogue is logged and known that I am acting as a service provider instead of a solely an individual.
I wouldn't go as far as calling Google adware and spyware just out of speculation. I would need to see proof or otherwise, it's a false statement. I suppose with your way of thinking, you would need to have a dedicated storage server for your backups if you don't trust big companies just because they are "big companies that provide many conveniences".

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Retired Staff
Nov 4, 2017
I wouldn't go as far as calling Google adware and spyware just out of speculation. I would need to see proof or otherwise, it's a false statement. I suppose with your way of thinking, you would need to have a dedicated storage server for your backups if you don't trust big companies just because they are "big companies that provide many conveniences".
I had never stated it as such. I am just saying that how some people are viewing it as. I has never meant it as "Google IS spyware/adware". Does that clarifies on what I meant in that regards?

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Retired Staff
Nov 4, 2017
I had successfully secured a source of backup providing. They are armed with RAID 10 and 10Gbps up links on every single one of their backup servicing node. Even though that up link is obviously shared it likely going to allow at least 1Gbps if not then some for no worries backing up and restore operations. Given many production VPS nodes and shared nodes are still rated at 1Gbps anyways. :smiley:

I will be likely ordering that VM soon for the operation so there lead time for it's being setup, configured, and so on. To assure it's ready for test operation. :smiley:

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Retired Staff
Nov 4, 2017
After from being away for awhile "under the hood" the VPS is now more or less "ready" to get rolling. I had even configured most of the billing platform. So soon I should be able to put the new website online at which time I will also get going with the public monitoring soon with/after that. :smiley:

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Retired Staff
Nov 4, 2017
Literally my provider had made a Christmas Day's disaster with re doing their products. With failure for them to care for me nor my business's requirements I had cancelled the VPS.

I will be looking (starting at least a little today) for a replacement VPS. At least I took a backup when I thought things were going to be bad so the data is secured on my end. So once the VPS comes in I will be able to work with the new provider to bring this back where it was.

Once that is operational and have a replacement/repaired website then further testing can be done. :smiley:

Chris Grigg

Executive
Retired Staff
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
www.USHost247.com
Literally my provider had made a Christmas Day's disaster with re doing their products. With failure for them to care for me nor my business's requirements I had cancelled the VPS.

I will be looking (starting at least a little today) for a replacement VPS. At least I took a backup when I thought things were going to be bad so the data is secured on my end. So once the VPS comes in I will be able to work with the new provider to bring this back where it was.

Once that is operational and have a replacement/repaired website then further testing can be done. :smiley:
Hate to hear you had a terrible experience with your hosting provider. Best of luck with finding another!

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Retired Staff
Nov 4, 2017
Hate to hear you had a terrible experience with your hosting provider. Best of luck with finding another!
Indeed, this was completely unexpected of them to "de railing" legacy products like that.

It's one thing to discontinue a product line and "carrying over" the better specs upon upgrading or at least provide an alternative upgrading that would make like a well rounded upgrade. But to instead completely "disconnect" the product's perks once an "upgrade" is done is just absurd.

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Retired Staff
Nov 4, 2017
After talking with some providers I had finally found a much better replacement VPS.

Because of the higher quality product and supportive servicing it now almost ready to accept orders. Which when I means higher quality I means it. After all numbers don't lie! https://status.humanehosting.com

Status
Not open for further replies.