Whats your thoughts on posting comps to get more content?

Sean Quinn

Almost Special
What is your thoughts on forums running posting competitions to get more content on their forums quicker? :yum: I have done this before on previous forums i have owned, and i am on the fence, because it can generate good activity on your forum and get some new members in, but on the other hand, you can end up with alot of spam like posts from members just increasing their post count to try win. :yum: Would you ever have a posting competition on your forum? :yum: Have you ever ran one before? :yum: Whats your thoughts on forum posting competitions in general?

Friendly Survival

Moderation Director
Retired Staff
Nov 4, 2017
What is your thoughts on forums running posting competitions to get more content on their forums quicker? :yum: I have done this before on previous forums i have owned, and i am on the fence, because it can generate good activity on your forum and get some new members in, but on the other hand, you can end up with alot of spam like posts from members just increasing their post count to try win. :yum: Would you ever have a posting competition on your forum? :yum: Have you ever ran one before? :yum: Whats your thoughts on forum posting competitions in general?
That is of course with any competitions and why disqualification policies are put into competitions. Because if there a prize of some sort people are going to cheat. You just don't know who going to do so.

Sean Quinn

Almost Special
Yeah i totally agree with the spamming and not so good content points youse are making. P but I do think a posting comp can revive a forum temporarily and then hope the admin can take advantage of the short (few weeks) activity boost and try to keep those people around afterwards. :yum:

s3_gunzel

Waiting for a train...
Sep 20, 2017
Sydney, Australia
aspergers.network
Yeah i totally agree with the spamming and not so good content points youse are making. P but I do think a posting comp can revive a forum temporarily and then hope the admin can take advantage of the short (few weeks) activity boost and try to keep those people around afterwards. :yum:
Then you're deluded. Once the money dries up, people leave and go to the next site that has money.

Cameron

Executive Director
Executive
Jan 29, 2015
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
For the most part, posting competitions only offer a temporary spike in activity. I don't know if you'd necessarily say that's a bad thing, but I don't think it really offers any benefits over the long haul.... Besides inflated statistics. I'd say offering small incentives to consistent contributors every so often is more practical, and probably more effective.

Teg

Quite the Aristocrat
Retired Staff
Nov 17, 2015
Georgia, USA
tck.boards.net
I've run a few and am actually currently running one on a brand new forum through the end of January. I agree that posting competitions encourage activity on a forum. I also think offering rewards to the winners that are forum related such as forum currency, custom titles, custom username colors, and the likes is a great way to get people motivated in participating in such contests.