YaBB

Cameron

Executive Director
Executive
Jan 29, 2015
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
Have you ever used YaBB as an administrator or simply as a user? It's safe to say it's outdated now, but I"m curious if anyone in our community has been exposed to it before.

Their most recent developments can be viewed at this test forum, which has YaBB version 2.7.

What do you think of it?

Clarendon

Almost Special
Banned
Oct 22, 2017
London
I mean it's not comparable to the likes of myBB and phpBB though it isn't dreadful either. I think with a bit of time and some keen developers, it could be turned into a powerful and popular script. From a developmental perspective, I could probably alter the code a bit for a customer to make it more refined and modern looker

Cameron

Executive Director
Executive
Jan 29, 2015
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
I mean it's not comparable to the likes of myBB and phpBB though it isn't dreadful either. I think with a bit of time and some keen developers, it could be turned into a powerful and popular script. From a developmental perspective, I could probably alter the code a bit for a customer to make it more refined and modern looker
At one point in time forever ago, ProBoards utilized the YaBB forum software. I guess YaBB was a big deal like fifteen years ago, but it's clearly behind the times now.

If you look at YaBB's support forum, you'll notice how slow the development of the software has been. It's basically reached a standstill, and it looks like very little has changed over the last 7-8 years. It kind of reminds me of what SMF is notorious for.

Clarendon

Almost Special
Banned
Oct 22, 2017
London
At one point in time forever ago, ProBoards utilized the YaBB forum software. I guess YaBB was a big deal like fifteen years ago, but it's clearly behind the times now.

If you look at YaBB's support forum, you'll notice how slow the development of the software has been. It's basically reached a standstill, and it looks like very little has changed over the last 7-8 years. It kind of reminds me of what SMF is notorious for.
Yes I agree, years ago it would've been a leading software but in modern times it is very outdated and compared to others it's just incomparable. The development team needs to invest some time in building a new moderner a sleeker version, normally things change so I hope they get some good new devs

Cameron

Executive Director
Executive
Jan 29, 2015
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
Yes I agree, years ago it would've been a leading software but in modern times it is very outdated and compared to others it's just incomparable. The development team needs to invest some time in building a new moderner a sleeker version, normally things change so I hope they get some good new devs
It seems like there isn't much of a development team now, unfortunately. It looks like there's one or two people working on it, and I'd say it's definitely not being prioritized in their lives.

Clarendon

Almost Special
Banned
Oct 22, 2017
London
It seems like there isn't much of a development team now, unfortunately. It looks like there's one or two people working on it, and I'd say it's definitely not being prioritized in their lives.
Interesting I might see if they'd let me onto the team then :yum:

Honestly though with development it all comes down to dedication, if you aren't willing to prioritise your work then it's not going to go very far